SPEED Training program focuses on strength and power for athletes
SARANAC LAKE – Adirondack Health’s Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Department is offering a summer strength training program for area high school athletes called SPEED Training, designed to build a base for training with a focus on proper technique to develop strength and power.
SPEED (Strong, Powerful, Explosive, Energetic, Dedicated) Training Overview:
- Adirondack Health’s team of Certified Athletic Trainers and Strength and Conditioning Specialists has designed this program to help young athletes improve their performance and reduce the chance of injury.
- Athletes will learn proper exercises and techniques to achieve strength and power gains.
- SPEED Training is based on the science of exercise physiology and biomechanics.
- Athletes will build strength through lifts such as squats, bench presses and rows, and Olympic lifts such as clean and jerks.
- For the athlete interested in developing long–term power and speed.
SPEED Training facts:
- Location: Training will take place at the U.S. Olympic Training Center’s International Weight Room in Lake Placid. Athletes will have the opportunity to improve their abilities where national and international athletes train year-round. There will be a number of guest instructors from the training center to lend their expertise.
- For: For high school athletes, ages 14-18 years.
- Program Leader: Dino Angelopoulos, Certified Athletic Trainer and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, is a staff member of Adirondack Health’s Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Department with over 15 years of experience working with athletes of all levels, from youth/novice to Olympic level. Dino’s background in injury management along with his strength and conditioning training gives him the expertise to assist athletes and improve athleticism while minimizing risk of injury.
- When: Mondays and Wednesdays, June 9 through July 30. Times offered are noon-1 p.m. and/or 4:30-5:30 p.m. Depending on enrollment, sessions may be held at both times.
- Cost: $339 for 16 sessions.
Athletes interested in enrolling in this summer’s SPEED Training, please contact Dino Angelopoulos at (518) 523-8589 or dangelopoulos@AdirondackHealth.org for more information.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
JOE RICCIO, Communications Director