Adirondack Health recognized with state award for patient care
SARANACLAKE – Patient care initiatives developed by nursing staff at Adirondack Medical Center (AMC) have been recognized by their peers as being among the best in New YorkState.
The Patient & Family Centered Care Bundle at AMC, a member of Adirondack Health, placed first for 2014 Best Practice Award, Northeast Region, of the New York Organization of Nurse Executives (NYONE). The Patient & Family Centered Care program incorporates a number of care initiatives aimed at improving patient satisfaction, designed and developed with patients and family members in mind, with a focus on best practices in caring for the entire person, not just the condition.
“It’s about treating the person as a whole, not just a medical condition,” said Linda McClarigan, Chief Nursing Officer at Adirondack Health. “Our whole healthcare team - from front-line nurses, to the pharmacy staff, the case coordinators and unit directors, to the physicians - provides individualized care with the expectation of excellence, every step of the way.”
With patients and their families at the center, the initiatives include:
- Bedside shift-to-shift reports, exchanging updates in a patient’s condition or care plan at the bedside.
- Enhanced discharge process and transfer of care to ensure patients have a clear understanding of a care plan when they leave the hospital.
- Daily rounding by nursing, providers, pharmacy staff and directors of each unit.
- Quiet hours to encourage rest and healing.
- Individualized care plans for each patient.
- Nursing excellence expectations and education for all aspects of patient care.
“Paying attention to the whole patient experience results in a higher level of satisfaction for not only the patient, but for their families and for those providing their care. It’s a win-win situation,” said Ms. McClarigan. She presented an overview of the program at NYONE’s annual conference in Tarrytown, N.Y. in April, when Adirondack Health and other regional winners were formally recognized and presented their awards.
Adirondack Health’s nursing leadership team gathers around their New York State Organization of Nurse Executives (NYONE) 2014 Best Practice Award for Excellence in Patient and Family Centered Care. Left to right: Shawn Larabie, RN; Linda McClarigan, RN, Chief Nursing Officer; Dave Mader, RN; Laurie Gokey, RN, and Marilyn Leitsch, RN.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
JOE RICCIO, Communications Director